On September 23rd, 1970 in an opening address to convene The Irish Donkey Society, Lady Averil Swinfen set out the aims of the Society:
- To raise the status of the donkey in Ireland
- To Improve the quality of breeding where necessary
- To stamp out cruelty and ill treatment
- To encourage the exchange of information and ideas among members
- To formulate standards and rules for judging
- To organise some form of registration
Our contemporary working of these noble aspirations is to uphold and improve the status and dignity of the donkey.